Saturday, August 9, 2008

July 2008

My posts are few and far between so will try to give a quick update this morning. Summer is going way too fast and will soon be over. July started out with activites for the 4th, our county fair, and some little trips. Dan went to Canada with the guys fishing. They backpacked about 2 miles into a cabin, which they shared with the bears!! I went with 5 other ladies to Lake Superior where we went to several state parks, hiked, and shopped. Oh, I also ran my first 5K with Danelle, Angela and Travis. I actually thought it was fun!!

During all this time, I wasn't feeling well and was trying to ignore my symptoms but when my left side started feeling numb and going down my arm, Dan finally got me to go to the ER. I was in the hospital a week, went through many tests before they found out that the outer wall of the left carotid artery was torn, which caused much pain, and the artery itself was shrinking. There wasn't much blood flow going through to the left side. Luckily, the right side was pumping blood over to the left side of my brain. To make a long story short, I had 3 stents put into the left carotid artery and am finally starting to get my strength back.

I cancelled my MT trip as I just wasn't feeling ready to travel so far. It was hard to think about missing the family reunion but felt it was best. The kids all flew out so they could be at the reunion.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Elaine,
we've been keeping tabs on you through Ruth, so glad you are ok, and so thankful for modern medicine, take it easy and be well,
Love,
Susie Harris

The Parsons Family said...

Susie - Thanks so much for the comment. It is fun to keep track of one another through blogs. I see pictures of some of your family and your "cute" little granddaughter!! I just had another CT scan and all is looking great. Next week I start back to school. Will see if I can keep up with the little kids!!
Elaine

farmermarvswife said...

Hi Elaine - I've been thinking of you too and I keep forgetting to ask Theo and Sarah how you are doing. I found your blog a while ago but didn't mark so have spent the last few minutes trying to find it again! Glad to hear you are doing ok and hope that continues. Sorry you missed your trip to Montana. Won't add more now. Hope you don't mind if I link you to our page then don't have to hunt so long to find you again! Take care and we hope to see you at convention in a couple weeks. Minnie

Paige's Parents said...

Hey Elaine,
Glad to see the pic of your 5K running group. I'm so proud of you! I hope that's not what did you in!!! :)

The Parsons Family said...

Yes Brenda, now I have an excuse not to run - ha ha. Actually, I finally got started walking again and I just wanted to run!! But I will behave myself and just walk - for now. I think the walking and running kept me going. I always felt better then - maybe it made the blood flow better. Who knows - I am just strange!! Oh yes, but one of the doctors told me that at my age, I don't need to be running!! Can you imagine - what does he think anyway!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Elaine, I wish I could give you a hug!! Been thinking of you a lot and have a card all picked out to send you, but you know me, not so good at that!! Glad to see you are doing better, and wish we could see you guys sometime. Maybe one of these days we'll surprise you. Take care and don't work too hard!!
Love you, Penny

Paige's Parents said...

Elaine - that doc is just playing it safe; I've seen some very old men out there running!
Only a few more weeks til you get to meet Paige! She is very excited. So am I...we will have lots of fun!
- Brenda

Paige's Parents said...

Hey lady! It's been a couple months since you posted anything...you should update everyone on how you are doing! I know I know, we could call and find out...but...

So I am counting down the days til Chicago - better bring Dan down too...it wouldn't be the same without BOTH of you there! :)